The Veterans Administration does not provide any payment for funeral services, but does provide the following:
- VA Cash Benefits For Reimbursement of Burial Expenses - $300 is available for an honorably discharged veteran, IF: they were receiving a pension or disability benefits from the VA at the time of death; or the death occurred in a VA hospital, or VA contracted health care facility.
- Active Duty or Service Connected Death - $2,000 is available IF: The veteran died during active duty; or an honorably discharged veteran died of a service-connected injury.
- Burial Plot Allowance - $300 is available for an honorably discharged veteran not interred in a cemetery that is under the jurisdiction of the US government, IF: The veteran was receiving a pension or disability benefits from the VA at the time of death; the death occurred in a VA hospital, or VA contracted health care facility.
- Transportation Allowance - Transportation allowance will be reimbursed by the VA for transportation expenses from the place of death to the funeral home and to the cemetery for a veteran who died in a VA hospital, or VA contracted health care facility.
- Military Honors - Generally consists of a rifle salute, taps and a flag folding detail performance by military personnel.
- US Flag - An honorably discharged veteran is entitled to a US flag provided by the Veterans Administration.
- Headstone or Marker - In a National Cemetery, a veteran, spouse and dependent children receive a free headstone. For burial in a private cemetery, a simple marker for veterans ONLY will be provided.
- Burial in a National Cemetery - Free grave space is available for a veteran, spouse and dependent children.
At the time of death, we will notify the Veterans Administration. For specific questions concerning eligibility claims and benefits please contact:
Veterans Administration Regional Office
McNamara Federal Building
477 Michigan Ave
Detroit MI 48226
1-800-827-1000 or (313) 964-5110